Python 3.4.1 installer on Mac links Python to old Tcl/Tk

Peter Tomcsanyi tomcsanyi at slovanet.sk
Thu Jun 26 06:39:34 EDT 2014

"Christian Gollwitzer" <auriocus at gmx.de> wrote in message
news:lofciv$nq6$1 at dont-email.me...
> For PNG image support you can load either the Img package which gives
> support for a large variety of images, or the smaller tkpng package.

My first Google search for
"tkpng" "python"
gave no usable results. So I am not sure if and how can I use these Tk
extensions from Python...
And finally I want to show the picture(s) on a Tk-based Canvas on top of
each other with properly handled semi-transparency.

In our project we want to use as little as possible additonal packages
because we expect that the end-users will use several platforms (Windows,
Mac, Linux) and installing any extra Python-related package on non-Windows
platform seems to be a nightmare, at least that is the result of the past
three months of experience.
The need to go to the command line level for such a basic thing like
installing or uninstalling something seems to me like going 20 to 30 years
back in history. We cannot expect that our end-users (especially the
Mac-based ones) will have that expertise even if they have enough expertise
to program in Python when it is finally correctly installed on their
computers.

> For angled text it's right, I don't know, there used to be some hacks
> before, it's probably not possible in a clean way.

I was actually negatively surprised by the lack of this very basic feature
(especially in a vector-graphics-based environment) when I started with
Python+Tk a few months ago, so I was very glad to see it in 8.6 and I
immediately started using it on Windows. But then I receved complaints from
a Mac user that it just does not work...

Peter