Error in PyDev but not in the standard python interpreter

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 11:58:00 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 1:40 AM, Fabien <fabien.maussion at gmail.com> wrote:
> Other related annoying stuff when learning is the good old 2.7 VS 3 problem:
>
> mowglie at flappi ~ $ apt-cache search SciPy
> [...]
> python-scipy - scientific tools for Python
> python3-scipy - scientific tools for Python 3
>
> mowglie at flappi ~ $ apt-cache search python basemap
> [...]
> python-mpltoolkits.basemap - matplotlib toolkit to plot on map
>
> -> no native python3 package for basemap -> compilation required...

Wouldn't have the foggiest as regards basemap, it might be that it
actually doesn't support Py3. (Also, it may depend on your exact
distro and version. I confirmed what you see there on Debian Wheezy,
but you might get different results on Debian Sid, or Scibuntu, etc,
etc.) You may want to consider using pip if apt doesn't have what you
want; it might be possible to get basemap that way.

> But I'll stick to it. If so many people say it's great for scientific
> computing, python must be great right? ;-)

Again, I couldn't say (I'm not into the heavy scientific work
myself)... but I can confirm that Python is an excellent language.
Along with Pike (a very similar language but with focus more on
long-running servers), Python holds pride of place in my coding work.
Basically, C is for writing high level languages in, and Python and
Pike are for writing applications. Life is good.

ChrisA