Unicode and Python - how often do you index strings?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Jun 5 20:10:07 EDT 2014

In article <mailman.10781.1402009056.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:

> In article <8681edf0-7a1f-4110-9f87-a8cd0988cece at googlegroups.com>,
>  Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Friday, June 6, 2014 2:30:26 AM UTC+5:30, Roy Smith wrote:
> > > Just for fun, I took a screen-shot of what this looks like in my
> > > newsreader.  URL below.  Looks like something chomped on unicode pretty
> > > hard :-)
> > >
> > > http://www.panix.com/~roy/unicode.pdf
> >
> > Yiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> Roy is using MT-NewsWatcher as a client.

Yes.  Except for the fact that it hasn't kept up with unicode, I find
the U/I pretty much perfect.  I imagine at some point I'll be force to
look elsewhere, but then again, netnews is pretty much dead.

> BTW, don't upgrade to OS X 10.9 Mavericks if you're dependent on
> MT-NW; it finally stops working there because what was left of Open
> Transport support in OS X has finally been ripped out of 10.9.

Hmmm, good to know.  I'm still on 10.7, and don't see any reason to
move.  But, then again, you'd expect that from somebody who's still on
Python 2.x, wouldn't you?