Python 3.2 has some deadly infection

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 18:35:39 EDT 2014

On Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:58:43 PM UTC+5:30, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 2:52 AM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> > That linux text is not the same thing as Python's text. Conceptually,
> > Python text is a sequence of 32-bit integers. Linux text is a sequence
> > of 8-bit integers.

> Point of terminology: Linux is the kernel, everything you say below
> here is talking about particular programs.

If it helps try the following substitution:

s/Linux/Pretty much all the distros that use Linux for their OS kernel/

BTW the only (other) guy I know who insistently makes that distinction is
Richard Stallman.

Are you an emacs user by any chance <wink>?

> From what I understand,
> bash (just another Unix program) treats strings as sequences of
> codepoints, just as Python does; though its string manipulation is not
> nearly as rich as Python's, so it's harder to prove. Python is itself
> a Unix program, so you can do the exact same proofs and demonstrate
> that Linux is clearly Unicode-aware. It's not Linux you're testing.

In these 'other programs' is it permissible to include the kernel
itself?
And then ask how Linux (in your and Stallman's sense) differs from
Windows in how the filesystem handles things like filenames?