Python 3.2 has some deadly infection

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 13:28:43 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 2:52 AM, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> wrote:
> That linux text is not the same thing as Python's text. Conceptually,
> Python text is a sequence of 32-bit integers. Linux text is a sequence
> of 8-bit integers.

Point of terminology: Linux is the kernel, everything you say below
here is talking about particular programs. From what I understand,
bash (just another Unix program) treats strings as sequences of
codepoints, just as Python does; though its string manipulation is not
nearly as rich as Python's, so it's harder to prove. Python is itself
a Unix program, so you can do the exact same proofs and demonstrate
that Linux is clearly Unicode-aware. It's not Linux you're testing.

ChrisA