Tabs (was Re: OT: This Swift thing)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jun 5 18:23:46 EDT 2014

On 6/5/2014 3:05 PM, Terry Reedy wrote:

>> Treating \t as a single space would be pathetic but standard. Treating it
>> as (up to) 8 spaces would be more useful, and standard. Rendering it as a
>> picture of a banana dancing on the ceiling would be silly and non-
>> standard. Not rendering it at all is even more stupid and less justified.
>
> <\t> would be better than nothing. Let us see what Thunderbird does
> *now*. Maybe complaints prompted a change. Or maybe some clients eat
> tabs upon sending.
>
>      4 spaces

This is now 5 spaces beyond the added '> ' quote marker.
>          8 spaces

9 spaces beyond ...

>      tab, which displays as 8 spaces on input

Not literally 8 spaces, but one jump of 8 spaces. Anyway, it is now 5
actual spaces beyond '> '. Something changed somewhere.

>          2 tabs

9 actual spaces.

> Regardless of what shows, there is still no configuration option.

And what shows is not what I expected, but better than the previous
non-rendering.

--
Terry Jan Reedy