.Net Like Gui Builder for Python?

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Sat Jul 26 06:14:08 EDT 2014

Am 26.07.2014 11:05, schrieb Chris Angelico:
> IMO it's an attractive nuisance at best. Make it easy to build
> something simple and flawed, and people will build things that aren't
> simple but are still flawed. Microsoft has done this to the world a
For most software/tools that's good enough. It's better to have this
than having
nothing.
Sure, when you have a look at the VB-created programs, most of them are
flawed,
but still they solve problems.

Currently, Python is ruled out as tool in many situations due to the steep
learning curve when it comes to GUIs, so people use Excel, Labview, Matlab
or whatever (or nothing at all or still VB).

> But for
> building a large and complex application, they tend more to make the
> job harder than easier; and for people who've learned on that system
Most problems that are out there to be adressed require only simple
applications.

For anything non-trivial I don't see that a GUI-builder, I agree that
hand-coding
the GUI is the better approach.

But then, we're now in a world where e.g. Qt is moving away from widgets to
QML which makes GUI programming a huge mess (in the same way that PHP
made web-programming a mess).

> and no other, it's "but this works - what, I have to learn a whole new
> system now? That new system sucks".
What is the point of not having tools to ease the entry?
Of course it makes the others, who still learned it, feel cool, but
other than that?

Regards,

Dietmar