Is it possible to install Python on a network?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 11:56:12 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:24 AM, roys2005 <roys2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>   I am trying to find out how I can install Python on a central machine
>   so that all users can use it, rather than using /usr/local/bin/python.
>      ( I am talking about unix/linux platform )
>
>   Since, I do not know the answer, I was asking if Python
>   can/can't/should/shouldn't be installed on a central machine.

Firstly, I would *strongly* recommend keeping /usr/bin/python (or
/usr/local/bin/python, whatever `which python` says) exactly where it
is. Call that one the "system Python", and treat it like bash, grep,
and all those other important tools. You'll only mess up your system
if you mess with that.

But with that sorted: I don't see any particular problem with mounting
some remote drive and running Python from it. You'll probably need to
make sure the path to it is the same as it was on the system that
installed it, and you'll definitely want to do this only on systems
with the same architecture, but otherwise you should be fine. Make
yourself a /usr/central/bin/python or something, install Python into
it, and then make /usr/central on all the others as a mount point for
/usr/central on the one where you installed it.

And then you can come back and tell us all how it went, because most
of us will have never tried it :)

ChrisA