Is it possible to install Python on a network?

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 23:51:06 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 5:41 PM, roys2005 <roys2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Emile, thanks for the quick response.
>
> Does this mean Python cannot be or should not be installed at a central location?
> If so, what is the root cause for this?

Back when I was a sysadmin, I would install CPython to a few different
NFS filesystems for hundreds of machines to use (more than one
filesystem because we had about 5 *ix variants - you probably only
need 1). It's just a matter of "./configure --prefix=/where/ever &&
make && make install" once you have the build dependencies.

It worked fine, but if you symlink you get into trouble because Python
can't find it's default module path where it expects; symlinking can
require a wrapper that sets an environment variable - I believe it was
$PYTHONPATH.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to ask: Why are you wondering if it works?