OT: usenet reader software

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Jul 22 17:57:13 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-22, Monte Milanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2014-07-22, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2014-07-22, Monte Milanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On 2014-07-22, ismeal shanshi <stuffstorehouse2014 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> [drugs for sale]
>>
>>> Aaaannnd here we have a good example of why it would be really nice
>>> to be able to filter/score based on the message *body*, not just the
>>> headers. 8(
>>
>> slrn filtered that out just fine based on headers alone, thank you.
>>
>> So, I didn't see it at all until you quoted the whole thing.
>>
>> Here's the relevent slrn scoring rule:
>>
>> Score:: =-9999
>>

> True... but what if I don't want to be quite that elitist and black-ball
> every one posting via google groups?  Some mailing lists I read via
> gmane *originate* on google groups (web2py list, for one).

There are one or two mailing lists that originate on GG, and I don't
apply the rule to those lists.

> Other people posting from google groups are not
> malicious/trolls/jerks/spammers -

True.  But if they persist in posting via  a well-known span-conduit
that's also famous for various other breakages, then I don't see how
they can be too surprised that not everybody sees their posts.

I occasionally disable that rule, and it's never seemed like I was
missing anything valuable.

> Maybe slrn needs an upgrade to gracefully handle html formatted messages
> - good bad or otherwise, they're pretty much here to stay, kind of like
> google groups.  There are programs like lynx, elinks, etc. that can
> handle simple html via a cli program... so its not entirely beyond the
> realm of possibility.

Even if they were nicely formatted, I'd still probably plonk GG posts
just to avoid the garbage.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! An Italian is COMBING
                                  at               his hair in suburban DES