OT: usenet reader software

Monte Milanuk memilanuk at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 17:21:36 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-22, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2014-07-22, Monte Milanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2014-07-22, ismeal shanshi <stuffstorehouse2014 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> [drugs for sale]
>
>> Aaaannnd here we have a good example of why it would be really nice
>> to be able to filter/score based on the message *body*, not just the
>> headers. 8(
>
> slrn filtered that out just fine based on headers alone, thank you.
>
> So, I didn't see it at all until you quoted the whole thing.
>
> Here's the relevent slrn scoring rule:
>
> Score:: =-9999

True... but what if I don't want to be quite that elitist and black-ball
every one posting via google groups?  Some mailing lists I read via
gmane *originate* on google groups (web2py list, for one).  Other people
posting from google groups are not malicious/trolls/jerks/spammers - and
honestly until I started using slrn again, I didn't understand what all
the fuss was about - gui news readers like Thunderbird handle the
messages from there just fine.

Maybe slrn needs an upgrade to gracefully handle html formatted messages
- good bad or otherwise, they're pretty much here to stay, kind of like
google groups.  There are programs like lynx, elinks, etc. that can
handle simple html via a cli program... so its not entirely beyond the
realm of possibility.

--
All right, breaks over.  Back on your heads! ;)

Reach me @ memilanuk at gmail dot com