OT: usenet reader software

Neil D. Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Tue Jul 22 14:36:35 EDT 2014

On 7/22/2014 11:14 AM, Anssi Saari wrote:
> I don't really know about about html and slrn since I don't see much of
> it but links in a terminal application is usually something for the
> terminal to handle. I run Gnus on a remote machine and use a local
> terminal for display, Konsole in Linux and mintty in Windows. In both of
> those terminals URLs are opened with a right click on the link and
> selecting open link from the menu that pops up.

That is correct and the way slrn works. You set browser and/or
guibrowser options in .slrnrc. With those set, SHIFT-G will troll an
open message for web addresses, and you use up and down arrow to select
the link you want from the generated list. Then it launches the browser
you configured.

Getting the escaping, path, and syntax of the browser setting correct
was a pain, but after that it worked great.

That said, I got tired of the inability to display most special
characters correctly (slrn could only do as well the cmd.exe), and have
switched to Thunderbird.

--
Neil Cerutti