OT: usenet reader software

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Tue Jul 22 11:14:15 EDT 2014

memilanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm on Ubuntu (14.04 LTS, if it matters) and I've been using
> Thunderbird for a loooong time... I've tinkered with slrn off and on
> over the years, tried pan occasionally due to recommendations... but I
> keep ending up back @ Thunderbird.  About the only thing it doesn't do
> that I really want is scoring/kill-files.

I always thought Thuderbird was a lost cause especially with News but it
has some serious issues as a mail client too. Probably part of the
reason why it never caught on and development stopped. Pretty good and
nice to have a cross platform thing but they kept it an island, unable
to sync contacts to anything else. Well, the Mac version could at least
use the Mac addressbook but on Windows and Linux it's just WTF.

> Slrn has those, and I do use vim on occasion so that worked well
> enough... but when people *do* post links or html it didn't handle
> that stuff gracefully like Thunderbird.

I don't really know about about html and slrn since I don't see much of
it but links in a terminal application is usually something for the
terminal to handle. I run Gnus on a remote machine and use a local
terminal for display, Konsole in Linux and mintty in Windows. In both of
those terminals URLs are opened with a right click on the link and
selecting open link from the menu that pops up.