PyWart(2.7.8) IDLE is more buggy than "Joe's apartment"!

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jul 21 15:16:48 EDT 2014

On 7/21/2014 10:27 AM, Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2014-07-21, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You call it a bug because you can't think of any way it could be
>> beneficial. That's the wrong way of looking at it. Something isn't a
>> bug because you find it annoying; it's a bug because it fails to
>> implement the programmer's intentions and/or the docs/specification.
>
> I was always taught that it's a "bug" is when a program doesn't do
> what a reasonable user expects -- that it's got nothing to do with the
> programmer's intent.

For the Python issue tracker at bugs.python.org, one definition of a
behavior ('bug') issue, one that might lead to a patch in maintenance
releases of current versions, is a discrepancy between doc claim and
code behavior. Discrepancies can be fixed by changing either doc or code
to match the other, depending on which is considered to be wrong. Of
course, sometime the doc is absent, partial, ambiguous, or confusing.

People (such as Rick) proposing enhancements often consider matching
code and doc to be buggy by design. But this is different type of issue.

For Idle, the doc briefly specifies behavior at a high, user level. File
/ open should 'open an existing file'. A text box for entry of a path
would minimally suffice. The current open file dialog adds the option of
filling in the box by clicking around the directory tree.

--
Terry Jan Reedy