PyWart(2.7.8) IDLE is more buggy than "Joe's apartment"!

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Mon Jul 21 11:57:22 EDT 2014

> Take, for instance, the behaviour of Windows's cmd.exe
> editing keys: enter three commands, then up-arrow three times and hit
> enter, then press down, enter, down, enter. You'll repeat the three
> commands. In other interfaces (eg GNU readline), you'd do the same job
> by pressing up, up, up, enter each time. Personally, I find the
> cmd.exe behaviour extremely surprising, especially when I've been
> working with some very similar commands (imagine: ./configure
> some_bunch_of_args; make; some_command_to_test; rm -rf *; git checkout
> HEAD - then repeat with a different set of configure arguments), and I
> end up "stuck half way up command history", wondering why I'm not
> seeing what I wanted. Can be extremely awkward. But even so, I don't
> call this a bug.

Granted, the readline library exposes a "operate-and-get-next" function,
by default bound to \C-o, with the same behaviour as the cmd.exe
one. I find it very handy in the scenario you picted. So again,
"feature" and "bug" may be effectively subjective :-)

ciao, lele.
lele at metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.