OT: usenet reader software

Monte Milanuk memilanuk at invalid.com
Sat Jul 19 23:48:39 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-19, cl at isbd.net <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> memilanuk <memilanuk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Guess where I'm going with this is... is there anything out there worth
>> trying - on Linux - that I'm missing?
>>
> If slrn was a maybe then there's also tin for text mode news readers,
> it's what I have always used.  I don't know what it does with HTML as
> none of the groups I frequent ever have any HTML in them.
>
> It does add one 'GUIness' to its text mode, it's mouse aware so you
> can click on messages in a list to open them.

slrn does have that option as well... just needs turned on (its off by
default) in the config file.  I seem to recall it not working so hot...
but I tried it on a link in a post last night and it worked like a
peach.

For whatever reason I never really tried tin (or trn).  I might have to
give them a whirl... though I must say that using slrn seems kind of
like riding a bicycle... my fingers apparently remember more than my
brain does ;)