Blocked thread

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 14:04:09 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 4:00 AM, Larry Martell <larry.martell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I did ask my DBA - he said "Blocking is a normal part of database
> operations. It's only a problem when it's a deadlock, in which case
> the server will detect that, kill one of the processes and log it."
>
> My situation is not a deadlock - there's just multiple scripts hitting
> the same tables at the same time. When one gets done the next one
> proceeds. I just want to find out what are the other processes causing
> this.

Then you definitely want server-side info. The DB server's the one who
knows who's waiting on whom. See if your DBA can help you with the
specifics; this will be bread-and-butter monitoring work for him.
Automating it might require some tweaking, but if he's at all
competent at his job, he'll know how to figure out (if manually)
what's blocking an important query.

ChrisA