Blocked thread

Larry Martell larry.martell at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 14:00:47 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know Oracle specifically, but if it's anything like
>> PostgreSQL, you'll probably do better with a completely separate
>> connection to the server
>

> Agreed. We use Sybase, and our DBA uses their tools extensively to identify
> problematic clients.

I did ask my DBA - he said "Blocking is a normal part of database
operations. It's only a problem when it's a deadlock, in which case
the server will detect that, kill one of the processes and log it."

My situation is not a deadlock - there's just multiple scripts hitting
the same tables at the same time. When one gets done the next one
proceeds. I just want to find out what are the other processes causing
this.