Multiple python versions, one dev environment???

Joep van Delft joepvandelft at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 17 11:32:31 EDT 2014

Hello!

The condensed version of the question would probably be: How does one
deal with multiple interpreters and one package where you want to try
some changes?

The background:
I made a trivial change to some package (docutils) to scratch a
personal itch, and I want to offer this back to the community
(whether it will be accepted or not). Because of this, I ran into
some issues.

Some facts:
1. Python3 is my main interpreter.
2. The tests of docutils only run under python2.
3. I desire not to touch my distribution's version of
   site-packagesX-Y.
4. I prefer to have one and only one development directory of
   my target package.

My confusions:
1. Is it possible to have one source control managed directory of
   some package, which is used by two versions of python?
2. I assume that the *.pyc-files generated while using some python
   source are version dependent. What is the recommended way to have
   'em both installed?
3. The way I have stumped a wall over here, is the puzzle of how to
   make python2 have a different $PYTHONPATH as python3. I hope to
   hear how this strategy is silly :)
4. I have contemplated the way of linking the source files from my
   development directory into user specified site-packages
   directories. Problem 3. still is valid.
5. Should venv and friends/foes com into play? If so: How?

Appreciate any light shed on these issues.

Thanks!

	Joep