Python 3 is killing Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 03:59:30 EDT 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Frank Millman <frank at chagford.com> wrote:
> He quotes some stats from PyPi, which shows number of downloads over a
> period, broken down by version. Over a recent period, Python2 downloads
> exceed Python3 downloads by a factor of 10:1 (subject to my memory ...)

These kinds of stats are always flawed. In a lot of cases, they're
skewed heavily by defaults, and in other cases, skewed even more
heavily by long dependency trees - so, for instance, a single Django
installation might involve fetching large numbers of packages from
PyPI, even though no new code has been written at all. Might add quite
a bit to the download stats for one version or the other. And what
about upgrades? Stable installations are still likely to want to get
the latest, which means downloading from PyPI, ergo it's another hit.

ChrisA