Python 3 is killing Python

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Jul 17 03:09:59 EDT 2014

"Chris Angelico" <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:CAPTjJmoT9q2CUYy5JC6kEYCxyp8_uSjHR1y8E+Z+T70QNc54xQ at mail.gmail.com...
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Frank Millman <frank at chagford.com> wrote:
>> It is worth watching this -
>>     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skYBOXE02OQ
>
> Not in a position to watch Youtube vids at the moment. A blog post I'd
> read, but a talk is not well suited to all forms of delivery... What's
> it saying, can you summarize?

I an also not in a position to watch it at the moment, but from memory ...

The talk is recent - the video is dated 1st July 2014.

He quotes some stats from PyPi, which shows number of downloads over a
period, broken down by version. Over a recent period, Python2 downloads
exceed Python3 downloads by a factor of 10:1 (subject to my memory ...)

He has talked to many influential pythonistas in the recent past. He
particularly comments on discussions with one of the prominent Python3
dissenters - Armin [can't remenber his surname].

He senses a great inertia in the established python community towards
adopting Python3. He goes through some of the familiar reasons, most, if not
all, relating to bytes/unicode.

He is concerned about a growing division in the community, not only between
users of the two versions, but between the mainstream users many of whom are
resisting the move to Python3, and the developers, who are committed to
Python3 but can only improve it by getting feedback from users.

His closing plea was for users to get involved with Python3, help to improve
it, and thereby help to re-unite the Python community.

Frank

P.S. If anyone watches the video, feel free to chip in and add to/correct
what I have written above.