NaN comparisons - Call For Anecdotes

Anders J. Munch 2014 at jmunch.dk
Tue Jul 15 08:32:53 EDT 2014

Steven D'Aprano:
> I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that when you first
> posted you hadn't realised that the audience here does not have the
> relevant experience, but by refusing to ask the question elsewhere, and
> by making snide comments that "they don't like beer", that pretty much
> gives the game away that you're looking to have your opinion confirmed
> rather than looking for an honest answer.

I really did run out of time when I said I did: I spent the last 5 days running
a chess tournament with 137 participants, with the tournament management
software written in Python by yours truly. Which worked beautifully, Python is a
great language. And I'm going to Iceland on vacation tomorrow, so I'm not going
to start a new discussion of a different mailing list just now, maybe later. Not
everyone is as prolific a writer as you are, Steven.

The talk about "the wrong list" would have carried more weight if you had
started out by saying "wrong list", instead of going through every other
argument first, before punting like that. By the way, which list is the
appropriate one? The numpy and SciPy mailing lists are first and foremost about
numpy and SciPy, I presume. Is there a general numerics-list somewhere also? I
don't see any on https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo.

By the way, you guys seem to have overlooked the opportunity for arbitrage:
*Anyone* can go to a numerical list, poll for examples, and come back and earn
some beer :)

regards, Anders