NaN comparisons - Call For Anecdotes

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Tue Jul 15 01:19:47 EDT 2014

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 18:44:15 +0200, Anders J. Munch wrote:

> alister wrote:
>> I don't have time to start this discussion over again on another
>> mailing list.
>> Don't anyone on those lists read python-list also?
>>
>> they possibly do, but prefer to keep discussions to the proper forum
>
> The semantics of the Python programming language is on-topic for
> python-list. This is about float.__eq__, not about numpy or SciPy. Maybe
> they just don't like beer?

It's about NAN != NAN. The heaviest uses of NANs are numpy and scipy
users.

You remind me of the proverbial drunk who lost his keys in the park, but
looks for them in the street under the street light because that's where
the light is. That's assuming that you actually want an honest answer to
your question.

If you wanted to learn about use-cases for NANs, you ought to ask
somewhere where there was a high proportion of numeric programmers, not
on some list merely because it was convenient.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that when you first
posted you hadn't realised that the audience here does not have the
relevant experience, but by refusing to ask the question elsewhere, and
by making snide comments that "they don't like beer", that pretty much
gives the game away that you're looking to have your opinion confirmed
rather than looking for an honest answer.

--
Steven