Standard library Help

Neil D. Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Fri Jul 11 08:51:11 EDT 2014

On 7/11/2014 4:53 AM, Wolfgang Maier wrote:
> On 07/11/2014 10:32 AM, Nicholas Cannon wrote:
>> Hey i would like to know alot more about the standard library and all
>> of its functions and so on and i know it is huge and i would basically
>> like to learn only the useful stuff that i could use and all of those
>> features. i have been looking around and i cant really find anything
>> so i wondering if you guys would know any places to learn it.
>>

> Consult the documentation:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/library/index.html
>
> It's probably the only place that has everything documented.
> Instead of reading everything from A-Z though, the more typical approach
> is to skim through it to know what is available, then read in-depth the
> parts that seem useful for a concrete problem you're trying to solve
> currently. In my experience, a thorough understanding of most chapters
> doesn't come with reading alone, but with practice.

I recommend reading and becoming familiar with the first five sections
first. You won't get far without the Built-in types and functions. list,
dict, set, open, etc., are not in a "library", per se, as other
languages usually define it, but that's where they're described in
Python's docs.

--
Neil Cerutti