How to decipher :re.split(r"(\(\([^)]+\)\))" in the example

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Jul 10 22:18:27 EDT 2014

In article <mailman.11746.1405042179.18130.python-list at python.org>,
 Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:

> Outside this are \( and \): these are literal opening and closing bracket
> characters. So:
>
>    \(\([^)]+\)\)
>          Two opening brackets, then at least one character which is not a
>          closing bracket, then two closing brackets.

This is a perfectly OK way to write this, but personally I find my eyes
start to glaze over whenever I see things like \(\(, so I would probably
have written it as \({2}.  I find that a little easier to read.  So, for
the whole thing up to this point:

although, even better would be to use to utterly awesome re.VERBOSE
flag, and write it as: