How to decipher :re.split(r"(\(\([^)]+\)\))" in the example

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Thu Jul 10 21:29:34 EDT 2014

On 10Jul2014 08:37, fl <rxjwg98 at gmail.com> wrote:
>This example is from the link:
>
>https://wiki.python.org/moin/RegularExpression
>
>I have thought about it quite a while without a clue yet.
>I notice that it uses
>double quote ", in contrast to ' which I see more often until now.

With raw strings (r', r") this doesn't matter. I tend to use r' myself.

You want raw strings with regular expressions because otherwise their heavy use
of sloshes "\" overlap with Python's use of sloshes, making everything harder.

>It looks very complicated to me. Could you simplified it to a simple example?
>
>import re
>split_up = re.split(r"(\(\([^)]+\)\))",
>                    "This is a ((test)) of the ((emergency broadcasting station.))")
>
>...which produces:
>
>["This is a ", "((test))", " of the ", "((emergency broadcasting station.))" ]

Rip off the python punctuation and get the regexp itself:

   (\(\([^)]+\)\))

then start from the inside out:

   [^)]  Any character except a closing bracket.
   +     One or more of the preceeding.

Therefore:

   [^)]+ One or more characters which are not closing brackets.
         Also phrased: at least one character which is not a closing bracket.

Outside this are \( and \): these are literal opening and closing bracket
characters. So:

   \(\([^)]+\)\)
         Two opening brackets, then at least one character which is not a
         closing bracket, then two closing brackets.

The outermost ( and ) are regexp grouping brackets, not text. On their own you
don't need them, but they mark out the regexp between them for later reference
or for use with a repeating modifier like ?, * or +. So in this instance they
do not add anything special to the regexp.

Given the above inside-to-out explaination, does that explain the re.split
result for you?

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

I thought the DoD was a bunch of licensed squids. The last thing you
need is a bunch of unregulated, amateur squids running loose.
         - David Wood <davewood at teleport.com>