NaN comparisons - Call For Anecdotes

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Jul 9 19:17:03 EDT 2014

On 07/09/2014 04:03 PM, Anders J. Munch wrote:
> Joel Goldstick wrote:
>>
>> I've been following along here, and it seems you haven't received the answer you want or need.
>
> So far I received exactly the answer I was expecting.  0 examples of NaN!=NaN being beneficial.

python-list (in whichever from you interact with it) is in no way specialized, yet you are asking for a highly
specialized bit of information.

> I wasn't asking for help, I was making a point.  Whether that will lead to improvement of Python, well, I'm not too
> optimistic, but I feel the point was worth making regardless.

The only point you have made is that no-one here uses them much.  You could just as easily ask how many of us use
lead-alloy to shield our in-home nuclear reactors to get the same answer.

On the other hand, if you go and ask on the numpy and simpy and whatever-math-or-science-py lists there are, and get
affirmative answers from them that yeah, NaN != NaN is just a huge pain and everyone is working around it, then brought
that information back here -- well, then you will have made the point that you want to make.

--
~Ethan~