generic _ssl error

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Wed Jul 9 01:41:05 EDT 2014

Robin Becker <robin at reportlab.com> writes:

> I have the following from some production machines when trying to
> clone / pull etc etc using mercurial on ubuntu 10.04
>
> hg clone https://myhost/myrepos
> abort: error: _ssl.c:480: error:0D0C50A1:asn1 encoding
> routines:ASN1_item_verify:unknown message digest algorithm
>
> I believe that _ssl.c must be the _ssl.so module which presumably is
> being used by the hg command.
>
> The system python which mercurial uses is
>
> Python 2.7.2 (default, Sep 20 2011, 16:38:53)
>
> Could this error be  the result of upgrading the openssl to fix
> heartbleed and not upgrading the system python?

The error message tells you that a message digest algorithm
is being used (liklely by the remote site) which is not supported locally.
There is a big chance that this means that locally something (related
with ssl/message digests - i.e. likely "OpenSSL") is too old.

I would try to upgrade the "OpenSSL" installation -- and then see
whether the problem goes away.