generic _ssl error

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Jul 8 06:39:26 EDT 2014

I have the following from some production machines when trying to clone / pull
etc etc using mercurial on ubuntu 10.04

hg clone https://myhost/myrepos
abort: error: _ssl.c:480: error:0D0C50A1:asn1 encoding
routines:ASN1_item_verify:unknown message digest algorithm

I believe that _ssl.c must be the _ssl.so module which presumably is being used
by the hg command.

The system python which mercurial uses is

Python 2.7.2 (default, Sep 20 2011, 16:38:53)

Could this error be  the result of upgrading the openssl to fix heartbleed and
not upgrading the system python?

On other servers I am able to clone etc etc without issue, but those are almost
all 12.04 machines and were fully updated at the time of heartbleed.
--
Robin Becker