PEP8 and 4 spaces

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 14:57:11 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 8:00 PM, Rick Johnson
<rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Strangly, I rather fancy the idea of using tabs in code,,,
> which allow each viewer to view the code in his or her level
> of indention,,, however, i cannot justify using a tab as a
> replacement for a space. Tabs should be used for "tabular"
> data (aka: speadsheets), and since code is NOT tabular data,
> we would be wise to use the space char for indention.

I find it a little curious that nobody ever seems to advocate the use
of vertical tabs instead of repeated newlines. It should offer the
same benefit as horizontal tabs, namely that one could then
independently configure one's editor to separate adjacent code
elements with the desired number of blank lines. But I suppose that
nobody finds that useful enough to bother with in the vertical case.