What's the "right" way to abandon an open source package?

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 15:05:45 EDT 2014

Hello,

On 01 Jul 2014 18:40:23 GMT
Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Jul 2014 20:59:48 +0300, Paul Sokolovsky wrote:
>
> > Put it on github
>

> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201405/github_monoculture.html

Everyone who (re)posts stuff like that should have mandatory N.B. of "I
just bought a server farm to offer an alternative".

And come on, the guy asked the *easiest* way to lose an open-source
package (apparently, in not an anti-social way).

> Besides, do you really want to give your support to a crowd who built
> a replica of the Oval Office in their corporate offices? While git is
> a decent DVCS, almost as good as hg, there's something about git
> culture which attracts geek wankery.

You mix up git and some other things. First is "github, inc.". I'm sure
all that publicity is their secret plan to overthrow google and
facebook. Bwahaha.

Second thing is (young pythonistas, close your eyes and ears!) is
Roooooby. That's where that slight smell of decay which bothers you
comes from. Indeed, using software written in Ruby is disgusting. But
if you look around, all software written for advanced git project
hosting is written in Ruby - gitorious, gitlab. Steven, I hope you have
plan how to resolve that situation with Python enlightment too. Until
then people will use that ruby stuff, in particular github. (Ah, and if
your solution is "hg", sorry, that won't work - for many reasons,
including CPython big startup delay :-F. Don't speak about git
monoculture though - *BSD folks are still using CVS, so world is safe).