Help with some python homework...

Scott W Dunning swdunning at cox.net
Fri Jan 31 19:35:50 EST 2014

So, this is what I came up with.  It works, which is good but it’s a little different from a few things you guys had mentioned.  For one, I got the correct time by calculating the number of time run and converting that into seconds then back out to hr:mn:sc.  I didn’t calculate from midnight.  That seemed more complicated to me because I’d have to figure the number of seconds from midnight to 6:52am then do the calculations for number of seconds run until I got home, then I got kind of lost.  Also, before I forget what is the difference between / and //?  I remember somthing about floor division?  Not sure what that means though.  Is it like a % where it gives the remainder after dividing?  Thanks again.  Code below.  Also, I think I found out through a little trial and error that I had two different hours, mins, and sec so I had to use one uppercase and one lower case.  Is that frowned upon?  And should I have come up with a different name instead?

SECONDS = 1
MINUTES = 60 * SECONDS
HOURS = 60 * MINUTES

time_left_house = 6 * HOURS + 52 * MINUTES

miles_run_easy_pace = 2 * (8 * MINUTES + 15 * SECONDS)

miles_run_fast_pace = 3 * (7 * MINUTES + 12 * SECONDS)

time_returned_home = miles_run_easy_pace + miles_run_fast_pace + time_left_house

hours = time_returned_home // HOURS
part_hour = time_returned_home % HOURS
minutes = part_hour // MINUTES
seconds = part_hour % MINUTES

print "Time returned home:", hours,":", minutes,":", seconds,"am"