Highlighting program variables instead of keywords?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jan 27 01:37:04 EST 2014

On 1/26/2014 8:46 PM, Skip Montanaro wrote:

> I think an interactive pylint (or pyflakes or frosty) type capability
> would be useful, highlighting a subset of the messages it produces,
> like variables which were assigned but never used, or using undefined
> variables. It might be best supported by actually running the checker
> in the background, then using its messages to direct where to
> highlight suspect bits of code.

One of my long-term goals for Idle is an extension that would run
user-installed code analyzers over the contents of an edit window, with
the output sent to an OutputWindow. Using the contents of the latter to
mark things in the editor window is an interesting idea. That is already
done for SyntaxErrors and traceback file:line references.

--
Terry Jan Reedy