Highlighting program variables instead of keywords?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 19:52:25 EST 2014

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:51 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 11:46 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
>> The only use I can see for this is to track the usage of a particular name,
>> but that would be better done by just highlighting one name at a time.
>
> In SciTE, I can put the cursor on a word and hit Ctrl-F3 to find other
> instances of that word. If that's not enough, following it up with
> Ctrl-Home, F3 will find the first instance of it, and if the program
> follows the Define-Before-Use principle, that'll be the definition.
> That's usually enough.
>
> ChrisA

That said, though, I grew up without syntax highlighting of any sort,
and didn't think it particularly important; but now that I have
editors with all those sorts of features, I do find them handy. So
it's possible that a system like this would be of value if once the
programmer gets used to it.

ChrisA