Can post a code but afraid of plagiarism

Dan Sommers dan at tombstonezero.net
Tue Jan 21 08:49:46 EST 2014

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 10:32:13 +0000, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

> ... When you set assignments the students will usually learn more if
> they work in groups. However at some point you need to try and assess
> how much they've individually learned. I find in practice that it's
> easy to tell when a student has copied someone else without really
> understanding what they're doing though. Of course if they just pay
> someone else to do it for them then there's not much you can do...

I had a programming teacher in high school who encouraged us to work
however we wanted, individually or in groups.  There were two
conditions:  (1) each student had to turn in a complete assignment, and
(2) he reserved the right to question anyone about anything they turned
in.  He observed us working in class enough to know whom to question.  I
know that a couple of students were busted early on; I don't know how it
all turned out in the end.

Dan