python2.6 needed as an aptitude package as dependency

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Jan 17 09:43:11 EST 2014

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 1:24 AM, Jan Hapala <jan at hapala.cz> wrote:
> I need to install a program (MACS: http://liulab.dfci.harvard.edu/MACS/) for which I need to have Python2.6 installed.
>
> I do have two other Pythons installed but not this version.

Is one of those Pythons a 2.7? If so, MACS will probably run with
that. The only problem is that the dpkg installer doesn't know that
you have the right dependencies. This isn't a Python question, it's a
Debian packaging one, but I happen to know one of the ways to deal
with this: the 'equivs' system. Since you've now installed Python 2.6
from source, you do have it, so all you need to do is make a dummy
package called (or providing) python2.6.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-helpers.en.html

I used this system at work for several packages where I wanted to run
a newer version of something than the repos provided. Saved us a lot
of hassle.

ChrisA