python2.6 needed as an aptitude package as dependency

Jan Hapala jan at hapala.cz
Fri Jan 17 09:24:16 EST 2014

Hello,

I need to install a program (MACS: http://liulab.dfci.harvard.edu/MACS/) for which I need to have Python2.6 installed.

I do have two other Pythons installed but not this version.

1) So I tried apt-get install... python2.6 is not there as a package (I am running Linux Mint 15).

2) Okay, I added some repos to the /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free

I ran apt-get update... python2.6 not there

3) I downloaded python2.6 as a source tar and compiled it and installed with make altinstall...
Python2.6 is installed. When I enter "python" in the command line and hit Tab, I can see there now all three versions of python.

Still I get the same error:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of macs:
 macs depends on python2.6; however:
  Package python2.6 is not installed.

I will be grateful for your suggestions,

Jan