What's correct Python syntax?

Igor Korot ikorot01 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 05:02:24 EST 2014

Hi, Rustom,

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:37 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 2:55:00 PM UTC+5:30, Igor Korot wrote:
>>
>> What if I want field 2 and field 3? ("seq 200" and "length 30")
>
> Wee you did say:
>
>> I'm interesred in only one element, so why should care about everything else?
>
> So its not clear what you want!

Sorry, I thought it would be easier to ask this way. Guess not.

I am actually looking for a way to get a result from split which is
sliced the way I want. Like in my example above.
I mean I can probably make more variable by creating a tuple, but why?
What is the purpose if I want only couple elements out of split.
Doing it Perl way does not help:

C:\Documents and Settings\Igor.FORDANWORK\Desktop\winpdb>python
Python 2.7.5 (default, May 15 2013, 22:43:36) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
>>> test = "I,like,my,chocolate"
>>> print test.split(',')[2,3]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: list indices must be integers, not tuple

I can do it this way:

>>> testlist = test.split(',')
>>> print testlist[2]
my

but it will needlessly creates a list on which I will access by the index.

Why? All I need is couple of values out of n-dimensional list (array).

> Do you want a one-liner? You could use a regular expression.
> [You will very soon find that the world divides between the regular and the
> irregular folks!]
>
> Or you want some other perl-ism? You need to say what...

Well is there a Python way to do what I want?
I mention Perl only because I'm familiar with the language and this is
easy in it to do that.

Thank you.