python first project

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Sun Jan 12 13:50:11 EST 2014

On 2014-01-12 06:04, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 4:14 PM, ngangsia akumbo <ngangsia at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> What options do you think i can give the Ceo. Because from what you
>> have outline, i think i will like to follow your advice.
>>
>> If it is just some recording data stuff then some spreadsheet can
>> do the work.
>>
>> From all indication it is a very huge project.
>>
>> How much do you thing all this will cost if we were to put the
>> system all complete.
>
> If you currently do all your bills and things on paper, then this
> job is going to be extremely daunting. Even if you don't write a
> single line of code (ie you buy a ready-made system), you're going to
> have to convert everybody to doing things the new way. In that case,
> I would recommend getting some people together to discuss exactly
> what you need to do, and then purchase an accounting, warehousing, or
> inventory management system, based on what you actually need it to
> do.
>
> On the other hand, if it's already being done electronically, your
> job is IMMENSELY easier. Easier, but more complex to describe,
> because what you're really asking for is a program that will get
> certain data out of your accounting/inventory management system and
> display it. The difficulty of that job depends entirely on what
> you're using for that data entry.

You should also consider whether you need to do it all at once or could
do it incrementally. Look at what functionality you might want and where
you might get the greatest benefit and start there. Doing it that way
will reduce the chances of you committing a lot of resources (time and
money) building a system, only to find at the end that you either left
something out or added something that you didn't really need after all.