python first project

ngangsia akumbo ngangsia at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 12:55:57 EST 2014

On Saturday, January 11, 2014 6:17:13 PM UTC+1, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
 On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 20:18:32 -0800 (PST), ngangsia akumbo

> 	Do you have a requirements or use-case documentation, or even a manual

 paper system which you would be "duplicating" on the computer? This

 document should provide the information what/how the system should operate

 (use-cases will be narratives showing how a user would interact with the

 system, with a use-case for each potential operation [add new client, add

 billing, correct errors, produce reports]).

I have a paper with the instructions that was given to me, these guys just want something very simple. The CEO in concern want that every day he get in to the office , it does not matter the time. He should be able to see a record of all the transaction for that day from his desktop

> 	How familiar are you with double-entry bookkeeping (accounts

 receivable, etc.

i am not very familiar with that

 > or is this just client billing application which may or

 may not feed into the main company accounting system)? Tax laws?

yeah just a client billing app

>(Or is

 "salary details" really just the human resources record of promotions/pay

 raises, and NOT actual payroll production).

Just salary, employee record, etc

> 	Are you familiar with relational database design and normalization?

Not very familiar with that, but if i have the right info i can normalize in it

> While an object-relational mapper [ORM] may take out the need to know SQL,

Yes i have some knowledge of sql

> they don't help you design efficient/usable databases. Or is their an

 existing system/database you have to interface with.

What i need to do is simple, design an app for employees, finance sector, purchase, billing, bookkeeping etc. Ok there is not IT infrastructure in this firm, they have a group of workers just doing the manual input of data. so the ceo wants this data to interact with a program that can keep track of what is going in the company.

 >	You have three separate applications defined: stock/warehouse, human

 resource/payroll, and billing/accounting. You probably do not want a single

 GUI application for this (the people updating warehouse records should have

 no access to employee/salary/payroll, nor to the billing system).

Thanks very much for this brilliant idea

> >I am also looking for guides and sources which can help me complete it.
>

> 	Text books on accounting principles, relational database design

 concepts, system analysis (if there are no requirements/use-cases) which

 may cross over with Object-Oriented Analysis (Object-Oriented Design would

 come in AFTER the system has been analyzed; it is a bit closer to the

 programming level than requirements).

I did not fully understand this paragraph please

 	<snip intro code>

> 	There is no persistence between runs (that is, no tracking of

 information from one run to another). Your "financial sector" basically

 requires the user to already know what their balance is and is just telling

 them if it is positive or negative. No ability to save a balance and later

 have them add or subtract an amount from it.

Thanks for this point

Richard