Constructive Criticism

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 10 03:56:14 EST 2014

On Thu, 09 Jan 2014 13:05:23 -0800, jeremiah valerio wrote:

> On Thursday, January 9, 2014 2:54:44 PM UTC-6, Christopher Welborn
> wrote:
>> On 01/08/2014 11:56 PM, jeremiahvalerio123 at gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > Hi, hows it going I've been self teaching myself python, and i typed
>> > up this small script now i know its not the best the coding is not
>> > the best but i would like to know of ways to make a small script like
>> > this better so all constructive critisim is Welcome.
>>

>> > Here is the link to the code
>>

>> >     " http://pastebin.com/5uCFR2pz "
>>

>> I'm not sure if someone already pointed this out, but imports only need
>>
>> to be done once. Usually at the beginning of the file, but not always.
>>
>> In your case I would say yes, at the beginning.
>>

>> import sys
>>
>> import time
>>

>> def countdown(seconds):'
>>
>>      # start at 'seconds' and count down with a for-loop
>>
>>      for i in range(seconds, 0, -1):
>>
>>          # print the current second (i)
>>
>>          print('closing in {} seconds.'.format(i))
>>
>>          # sleep for one second (no need to import time again).
>>
>>          time.sleep(1)
>>

>> # Example usage:
>>
>> print('hello')
>>
>> # Prints the countdown.
>>
>> countdown(10)
>>
>> sys.exit(0)
>>
>> --
>>

>> - Christopher Welborn <cjwelborn at live.com>
>>
>>    http://welbornprod.com
>
> Mr.Peter Otten did
>
> "- You should import modules just once, at the beginning of your script.
> "
>
>                                                    -Peter Otten
> With his help this is what i have now
>
> def countdown():
>     import time for seconds_left in reversed(range(1, 10)):
>         print("Closing in", seconds_left, "seconds")
>         time.sleep(1)
>     exit()
>
> if user_input == "yes" :
>     user_input = input("\nGreat what should we talk
>     about?\nSports\nWeather")
> elif user_input == "no" :
>     print("\nAlrighty bye have a nice day! :)\n\nClosing in 10.")
>     countdown()

you could improve your countdown function further by adding an optional
count vaule

def countdown(count=10):
    for timeleft in reversed(1,count):
        print ("Shutting down in {} Seconds".format(timeleft))
        time.sleep(1)
--
Most people can't understand how others can blow their noses differently
than they do.