the Gravity of Python 2

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 12:00:26 EST 2014

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 3:42 AM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
> To get back to a hypothetical Python 2.8, it could implement this kind of
> behavior, and I think it would help support incremental upgrades. As long as
> you're using Py 3 bytes and str in your code, you'll be aware of errors and
> be forced to think about it. Other Python code in the system can remain
> unchanged, and to the magic of ducktyping will continue to work. You can
> then tackle things incrementally.

I'm still not sure how Python 2.8 needs to differ from 2.7. Maybe the
touted upgrade path is simply a Python 2.7 installer plus a few handy
libraries/modules that will now be preinstalled? These modules look
great (I can't say, as I don't have a huge Py2 codebase to judge based
on), and they presumably work on the existing Pythons.

ChrisA