the Gravity of Python 2

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Tue Jan 7 11:42:42 EST 2014

Hi,

I've posted a documentation issue to the 'future' module which includes
a further evolution of my thinking. As I expected, the author of the
'future' module has thought this through more than I had:

https://github.com/PythonCharmers/python-future/issues/27

To get back to a hypothetical Python 2.8, it could implement this kind
of behavior, and I think it would help support incremental upgrades. As
long as you're using Py 3 bytes and str in your code, you'll be aware of
errors and be forced to think about it. Other Python code in the system
can remain unchanged, and to the magic of ducktyping will continue to
work. You can then tackle things incrementally.

Regards,

Martijn