[OT] Migrating from non-free programs to LibreOffice

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 11:38:44 EST 2014

On 01/05/2014 04:30 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> In short: Everything that was good about OpenOffice is now called
> LibreOffice, which had to change its name only because the owners of
> that name refused to let it go.

Your information is a year or two out of date.  OpenOffice.org is alive
and well, under the auspices of the Apache foundation. And in fact
development is proceeding on it quite well. I believe they released
OpenOffice v4 some time ago.  It is mostly feature identical to
LibreOffice 4, and even has a couple of features that LibreOffice lacks.
 They really need to merge back into one project again, but I suspect
they won't either for ideological or legal reasons.  The former is very
sad and not a good commentary on the viability of open source software.
 OpenOffice is a much better name than LibreOffice as well, especially
for trying to convert users off of proprietary Office.