"More About Unicode in Python 2 and 3"

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Tue Jan 7 05:54:23 EST 2014

On 1/6/14 5:30 PM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> On 06/01/2014 22:22, Ned Batchelder wrote:

>>> What are you on about?  The comment has been made that "its quite plain
>>> to me that 3.x python has a problem with everyday dealing with strings".
>>>   Myself, Terry Reedy and Steven D'Aprano have all commented on this,
>>> asking for more data.  We've been given nothing, which is precisely what
>>> our resident unicode expert has given us.
>>>

>> I'm on about your comment being a gratuitous jab at someone who isn't
>> even participating in the thread.  Stop it.
>>

> You arrogance really has no bounds.  If you'd have done the job that you
> should have done in the first place and stopped that blithering idiot 16
> months ago, we wouldn't still be putting up with him now.

I don't understand how you can accuse me both of arrogance (presumably
for speaking up about bad behavior), and also of not doing my job
(presumably, speaking up about bad behavior) at the same time.

16 months ago I wasn't even a reader of this list, let alone a
moderator.  I don't know why you think it was my job to fix something
back then.  Now I have no special powers or jobs, just an interest in
this list running smoothly.

If you don't want to put up with someone, don't invite them into a
thread by baiting them.

> And as I started this thread, I'll say what I please, throwing my toys
> out of my pram in just the same way that your pal Armin is currently doing.

Starting threads doesn't give you any special rights.  I don't see how
your displeasure with Armin entitles you to gratuitous baiting of
someone else.  Declaring "I'm acting badly, and I intend to keep acting
badly" is just childish.

Forget the code of conduct, forget common civility, just think about
your own self-interest: if you don't want to hear from someone on the
list, why would you invite them in with that kind of provocation? Let
sleeping dogs lie.