"More About Unicode in Python 2 and 3"

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Mon Jan 6 17:25:15 EST 2014

On 1/6/14 5:16 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> Ned Batchelder <ned <at> nedbatchelder.com> writes:
>>

>> I never said they were the whole community, of course. But they are not
>> outliers either. By your own statistics above, 23% of respondents think
>> Python 3 was a mistake.  Armin and Kenneth are just two very visible
>> people.
>
> Indeed, they are two very visible people.
>
>> I'm not creating rock stars.  I'm acknowledging that these two people
>> are listened to by many others.  It sounds like part of your effort to
>> avoid rockstars is to ignore any one person's specific feedback?  I must
>> be misunderstanding what you mean.
>
> I am not trying to ignore "any one person's specific feedback". I am
> ignoring your claim that we should give Armin's blog posts an
> extraordinary importance because he is "revered".
>
> Speaking of which, posting blog articles is not the preferred way to
> give feedback. There are ample community resources for that. I am
> irritated that we are apparently supposed to be monitoring blog posts,
> Twitter feeds and whatnot for any sign of dissent, and immediately react
> to a criticism that wasn't even voiced directly to us.
>
>> You are being given detailed specific feedback from intelligent
>> dedicated customers that many people listen to,
>
> Could you please stop talking about customers? We are not selling
> Python to anyone (*). Writing open source software as a volunteer is
> not supposed to be a sacrificial activity where we will bow with
> extreme diligence to the community's every outburst. Please try to
> respect us.

I do respect you, and all the core developers.  As I've said elsewhere
in the thread, I greatly appreciate everything you do.  I dedicate a
great deal of time and energy to the Python community, primarily because
of the amazing product that you have all built.

I've made my point as best as I can, I'll stop now.