"More About Unicode in Python 2 and 3"

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jan 6 12:13:34 EST 2014

On 06/01/2014 16:46, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 06 January 2014 11:42:55 Mark Lawrence did opine:
>
>> On 06/01/2014 14:32, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> On Monday 06 January 2014 08:52:42 Ned Batchelder did opine:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> +1 Ned. Quite well said.
>>>
>>> And from my lurking here, its quite plain to me that 3.x python has a
>>> problem with everyday dealing with strings.  If it is not solved
>>> relatively quickly, then I expect there will be a fork, a 2.8 by
>>> those most heavily invested. Or an exodus to the next "cool"
>>> language.
>>
>> It's not at all plain to me, in fact quite the opposite.  Please expand
>> on these problems for mere mortals such as myself.
>
> Mortals?  Likely nobody here is more acutely aware of his mortality Mark.
>
> But what is the most common post here asking for help?  Tossup as to
> whether its database related, or strings.  Most everything else seems to be
> a pretty distant 3rd.
>
> Cheers, Gene

As the take of Python 3 is so poor then that must mean all the problems
being reported are still with Python 2.  The solution is to upgrade to
Python 3.3+ and the superb PEP 393 FSR which is faster and uses less
memory.  Or is it simply that people are so used to doing things
sloppily with Python 2 that they don't like being forced into doing
things correctly with Python 3?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence