"More About Unicode in Python 2 and 3"

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jan 6 11:46:18 EST 2014

On Monday 06 January 2014 11:42:55 Mark Lawrence did opine:

> On 06/01/2014 14:32, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Monday 06 January 2014 08:52:42 Ned Batchelder did opine:
> > [...]
> >
> >> You are still talking about whether Armin is right, and whether he
> >> writes well, about flaws in his statistics, etc.  I'm talking about
> >> the fact that an organization (Python core development) has a
> >> product (Python 3) that is getting bad press.  Popular and vocal
> >> customers (Armin, Kenneth, and others) are unhappy.  What is being
> >> done to make them happy?  Who is working with them?  They are not
> >> unique, and their viewpoints are not outliers.
> >>
> >> I'm not talking about the technical details of bytes and Unicode.
> >> I'm talking about making customers happy.
> >
> > +1 Ned. Quite well said.
> >
> > And from my lurking here, its quite plain to me that 3.x python has a
> > problem with everyday dealing with strings.  If it is not solved
> > relatively quickly, then I expect there will be a fork, a 2.8 by
> > those most heavily invested. Or an exodus to the next "cool"
> > language.
>
> It's not at all plain to me, in fact quite the opposite.  Please expand
> on these problems for mere mortals such as myself.

Mortals?  Likely nobody here is more acutely aware of his mortality Mark.

But what is the most common post here asking for help?  Tossup as to
whether its database related, or strings.  Most everything else seems to be
a pretty distant 3rd.

Cheers, Gene