Error getting REMOTE_USER Environment Variable

Hobie Audet Hobie.Audet at comcast.net
Fri Feb 21 17:48:05 EST 2014

>How many other environment variables are doubled? All of them?

The only other environment variable I have tried is REMOTE_ADDR, and
that does not appear to be doubled.

>Does the problem exist when the Python script is run directly, outside
>Abyss, or in IDLE, for example?

The problem is with the REMOTE_USER and REMOTE_AUTH variables, which
are set as a result of user authentication by the web browser.  Thus,
they don't exist outside of the web server environment.

Since my posting yesterday, I've done a LOT of fiddling around with
this and found a couple of interesting things.  First of all, there
was a minor typo in my web page HTML.  The closing </HTML> tag was
lacking the last right angle bracket, so it looked like this:  </HTML

However, that doesn't seem to have affected the issue at hand.

The second interesting thing is that this error occurs in the
index.py script.  If I invoke it implicitly (by pointing my browser
at 127.0.0.1/Test), the REMOTE_USER and REMOTE_AUTH variables are
doubled.  But if I invoke it explicitly (by pointing my browser at
127.0.0.1/Test/index.py), the variables are NOT doubled and are
returned correctly.  Strange! I hate to say it, but this sounds like
a bug in the Abyss web server.

I have already reported this to Aprelium support.

Hobie