Import order question

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Feb 18 17:44:44 EST 2014

On 2014-02-18, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Rick Johnson
><rantingrickjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Are you telling me you're willing to search through a single
>> file containing 3,734 lines of code (yes, Tkinter) looking
>> for a method named "destroy" of a class named "OptionMenu"
>
> Yeah, actually I am.

Yup.  And there are new-fangled tools like grep and vi/emacs that even
make it easy!

> At my last job, I had a single C++ file of roughly 5K lines, and it
> wasn't at all unmanageable. Probably wouldn't have been a problem to
> have another order of magnitude on that. What sort of wimpy text
> editor are you using that you can't find what you're looking for in a
> single large file? Less steps to get to the file, more searching
> within the file. Much easier.

Definitely.  I've worked on a number C projects where the source code
was pointlessly split up into a whole slew of files.  AFAICT, it
wasn't done to provide separate namespaces or for information hiding
or code reuse. It was just done to piss me off when I'm trying to find
something...

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Maybe I should have
                                  at               asked for my Neutron Bomb